In 1950, at 3 years old, I'm sure I had little appreciation for the lovely home my father had build for us in this neighborhood. That new red brick home is the same home I live in today.
My parents moved us in from 'the country' a few miles east, from a home with dirt floors, an out-house, lean-to kitchen and sleeping porch. All of which my brothers remember well, but had been improved by the time I was born. Dad was made of sturdy pioneer stock, and worked hard all his life to make a better life for his children and he succeeded well.
I have so many fond memories of growing up in this neighborhood. We never locked our doors, the children roamed free for blocks in every direction.
I'll just mention one memory that has to do with the vacant lots that were scattered through the neighborhood at that time. Vacant lots were wonderful places for imaginations! We made forts and houses in the dirt, races and ball games, pet funerals and bon fires! Every new year people threw their dead Christmas trees in the alleys. For days we dragged as many as we could find to a vacant lot to build a fort with several rooms and walls as high as us. After the fun of playing in the for wore off, the trees were stacked in a big for a very early (still dark) Saturday morning bon fire! Such a great memory with friends!
Jane (Roberts) Millet
1- In 1948 the Mesa Jaycees convinced Passey Investment Co. (owners of the new subdivision) to donate one of the lots in Fraser Field on which they built a $12,000 fully furnished home that was raffled off as the publicity stunt to bring attention to the subdivision. Tickets were sold for $5.00 each for an entire year. The winner was Mrs. Irene Van Kirk, a widow and mother of two children. The home she won is now the home of Ben and LeAnn Adams.
No comments:
Post a Comment