Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sister Thoughts- Leticia Clarkson

When I was 18 and deciding where to go to college, I prayed and was prompted that I should move to the Phoenix area. My older brothers and twin sister all lived down here and so it was an easy move. For the first six months, I lived with one of my brothers and my sister in Paradise Valley. With all of us being new to the area we didn't know anyone and didn't know where the nearest singles ward met. So, for the first six months I lived down here, I didn't attend church regularly, if at all. As I look back, that time was extremely spiritually hard for me. Though I never strayed far from the path, I knew something was missing and at one time even considered compromising my own self-imposed rule about not dating a non-member. I remember talking with my brother about it and we both decided to drive to Mesa to attend Tuesday night Institute at MCC. We attended every week for two months or so and then both felt a prompting to move to Mesa. My brother easily found a home of single guys to move in with and I moved into an apartment with my cousin and my sister off Extension and Broadway.
We continued going to institute and made friends with my brothers roommates and other girls that they knew.

One evening as institute was getting out, a girl I had met through my brother started up a conversation with me. She said, "You have the cutest smile. It reminds me of a guy I know. I totally want to set you two up." She asked for my number and I gave it to her, after which she said, "I'll have him call you. His name is Adam Clarkson. The only thing is... I'm kinda seeing him right now." I was so confused. What? Is it common practice in the institute circle to set up guys you are interested in with girls you hardly know? Needless to say, the guy never called. No big deal right?

I found a singles ward and made friends with a bunch of guys who I would hang out with occasionally. One night I received a call from one of the guys. "Hey Leticia, our plans fell through for the night and we were wondering if we could come hang out with you girls." My first thought was "I'm no ones second plans", but I said "Sure, come on over." After ten minutes or so of us girls trying to make ourselves presentable but not look like we were trying too hard, there was a knock at the door.

I casually opened the door to see a tall, dark and handsome stranger in the doorway. "Hi, I'm Adam Clarkson", said the stranger offering his hand. "Hi, I'm Leticia Austin", I tried to say as cool as I could, but my insides were saying, "Hello YOU!" I don't believe in "the one", it's too easy, but the right person at the right time, sure I do. I believe people come into our lives for certain reasons, whether it's to strengthen us or test our patience and help us find our true selves. I know that for some reason, Adam and I were supposed to meet and somehow in the middle of it we fell in love.

I find it funny, looking back on all this that I could have met Adam sooner, but the timing was wrong for whatever reason. There were certain things I needed to learn. The biggest was follow the Spirit and the Lord will provide a way. I followed a prompting to move to Phoenix, then to Mesa and to continue going to church and institute. I still try following the Spirit in all I do, and when I do I am extremely blessed. I want to bear my testimony that Heavenly Father knows us so well. He loves us so much and he has a plan for all of us. Listen to his prompting no matter how small, and though you may not meet a handsome stranger, in time you will receive the blessings that you need. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment